EnChem is a chemical solutions provider that is up to the task that change continuously brings to the trailer industry. Based out of Kingston, Okla., EnChem focuses on hazardous waste site remediation and uses its patented technologies to solve problems arising for their clients, their own company and for the environment.
Problem: Steel Reclamation
Contacted by one of their trailer manufacturing clients, EnChem was informed by their counterpart that one of their steel suppliers was really in a bind after months of inventory build-up: the supplier found themselves with a significant amount of corrosion on their steel. The initial consensus was to sandblast the steel and remove the corrosion. However, further study of the regulatory and environmental hazards for sandblasting this volume of steel caused the supplier to look for alternatives. Fortunately, EnChem had a solution.
Solution: Environmentally Friendly RustFree
The solution to steel reclamation without sandblasting is EnChem RustFree. The need to improve air quality and protect the health and safety of employees is on the forefront for all manufacturers and with RustFree, steel can be reclaimed from corrosion, flash rusting after effects can be stopped without threatening the health of the environment, your staff and your bottom line.
Problem: Aluminum Corrosion
Unfortunately for one of EnChem’s customers, aluminum products were being made and shipped in winter time over salted highways and ocean seas resulting in severe aluminum corrosion and in some cases being rejected by the purchaser.
The solution to aluminum corrosion occurring in transport is EnChem MetalArmour. Transportation environments can be brutally tough on aluminum products, but MetalArmour is even tougher.
EnChem MetalArmour is a water-based proprietary liquid formulation for direct application on various metals, providing a removable yet durable protective coating to guard against rust and corrosion on all types of steel, aluminum and brass in high humidity and moist conditions during fabrication, storage and transport. MetalArmour can be easily removed using a variety of industrial alkaline cleaning solutions.
MetalArmour Technical Information:
• Solubility: 100% water soluble.
• Corrosion: Non-corrosive.
• Coating Weight/Coverage: Typical dry fi lm thickness of 0.5 - 0.7 mils yields 1500 - 1700 sq. ft. / gallon.
• Hardness Factors: Pencil Hardness – 2B, Sward Hardness - 26, Konig Hardness - 70.
• Sample Applications: Fabrication, transportation & storage of assemblies, automotive, aircraft, machinery.
• Excellent adhesion and durable protection against rust and corrosion on most metals.
• Highly water resistant.
• Highly UV resistant.
• Mechanically stable.
• No residual VOCs, solvents or oils.
• Will not harm or alter metal surfaces, metal structures or tensile strength.
• Coated metals may be cut, drilled, milled and welded.
• Dry finish provides clean and nonconductive surface for robotic machining/welding.
• Environmentally and user friendly. Product is non-hazardous, non-flammable and nonreactive.
• Flexible application methods for variety of situations and operational systems.
• Superior removability with alkaline solutions.
Usage: Use to guard against rust and corrosion on all types of steel, aluminum and brass
• Use undiluted. Metal surfaces should be dry and cleared of shop & mill soils, lubricants and solvents for proper adhesion and protection-shot blasting is ideal if feasible. Do not apply on wet metal surface.
• May be applied by wiping, brushing, rolling, dipping or spraying (spray with proper ventilation.)
• Ideal ambient temperature/humidity for application is
65o F (18oC) or warmer, with humidity 60% or lower.
• Dries to the touch in 10-20 minutes when applied as recommended, and is typically fully cured in 1-6 hours, depending on ambient temperature/humidity.
• Removable with various alkaline cleaners with pH of 10.5+ via manual pressure washing, spray and rinse, or automated chemical wash down booth.
Problem: Paint Waste Ignitability
EnChem rose to the occasion when one of its customers contacted them in a panic about a dumpster filled with paint booth filters that seemingly self-ignited. The caller admitted that they had seen this event a couple of other times during their years at the plant, but this particular fi re nearly spread to the building. Rightly so, the customers were worried about the risk of damaging their paint booth or waste facility, or receiving consequences from an environmental regulatory agency.
The solution to ignitable and toxic paint booth filters and waste is Enchem’s patented PaintSafe. With PaintSafe, these hazardous materials are made safe; protecting your employees and facilities from catastrophic fire as well as made safe for waste disposal.
Customers in industries as varied as parts manufacturers, industrial equipment, furniture, cabinetry, and trailer manufacturing are benefiting greatly from this environmental solution to ignitable paint waste.
EnChem PaintSafe is a concentrated liquid formulation for spray booth operations, designed to treat the hazardous VOCs in overspray collected by the filtering systems of spray booths and it treats both dry filter wastes and water filtered wastes, and acts as a detackifier and flocculant when used as an additive to the water reservoir of water wash booths.
PaintSafe Technical Information:
• Solubility: Water soluble.
• Applications: Use with any solvent based coating operation.
Not applicable with water based coatings.
• Environmental: PaintSafe is benign, non-hazardous and environmentally friendly.
• Prevents VOC based spontaneous combustion of spray booth wastes, and prevents MEK leaching.
EnChem Aluma Prepped to Showroom Finish.
• Eliminates Hazardous Waste Disposal Fees due to D001 Ignitable and D035 MEK Toxicity
• Treats both contaminated dry filters and water wash wastes.
• In water wash booth-floats, detackifies and coagulates the over-spray wastes for easy removal.
• Lowers treatment costs for water wash booths, protects booth equipment.
• Concentrated formula means less on-hand inventory, and greatly reduced shipping costs.
Usage: use to treat contaminated filters.
Mix spraying solution at 6 parts water to 1 part
PaintSafe (15% ratio).
Spray contaminated filters thoroughly with solution before discarding.
Mix soaking solution at 9 parts water to 1 part
PaintSafe (10% ratio) in treatment tank.
Filters must be completely immersed in solution for proper treatment.
Soak filters in solution for 2-24 hours; sufficient time for filters to become saturated at minimum.
Remove and drain filters, and discard.
• Use as an additive in water wash booths:
Add initial charge of ½ of
1% in water reservoir (1 gallon PaintSafe to 1,000 gallons of water).
Add 1 gallon of PaintSafe daily for every 25-30 gallons of overspray to be treated.
Water pH should be 9.5-10.5 for best results
(EnChem PH-100 additive recommended).
Remove treated wastes from reservoir or skimmer tank and discard.
EnChem is a trailer industry leader offering environmentally safe and superior products delivered with professional application expertise ready to meet all of your metal manufacturing needs: